"Hill's Platform Has Plank To Abolish Campus 'Machine'" The Crimson White April 5, 1949
William T. "Johnny" Hill is a candidate for president of the Student Government Association. The 27-year old Decatur civil-engineering senior is president of the Baptist Student union, and a member of Phi Eta Sigma, Tau Beta Pi, Theta Tau, Chi Epsilon, and ASCE.
He was discharged from the army as 1st sergeant in 1945 after thirty four months of service, in which he was awarded the purple heart, the combat infantry badge, and four service stars. He has worked as clerk for Arrow provisions and as Goodyear Decatur mills.
He was president of his junior high school student council, the fellowship club, and the math club. He was graduated as valedictorian in 1941.
He is past president of the Student Religious association at the University. He has managed three intramural softball teams as well as playing on the 1945 champion independent football team.
1. I am working to abolish the clique which controls the campus machine.
2. I am working to establish a second party on the campus.
3. I will work to make every student an integral part of SGA. I think this can be done through a more adequate, more extensive orientation program, and through opening all SGA meetings to the student body.
4. I will work toward making all honorary and service organizations open to all qualified persons.
5. I will work toward the solution of such problems as traffic, supply store, college inn, cafeterias, pay rates, telephones, intramurals, co-op grocery, and free book exchange.
6. I will work on such administrative and academic problems as basic English for credit, reading 1b, vocational guidance, advisorship, and faculty-merit rating system.